News Article Commentaries and a Movie Review
Three times during the semester each student will prepare two one-page commentaries on an environmental article of the student’s choice found in a local or national newspaper, a magazine, or other environmental news source. Articles obtained from websites such as Ask.com, Wikipedia.com, About.com, or similar type websites are not acceptable. If you are unsure of the acceptability of a source and/or article, feel free to ask me for a determination before the due date of the assignment. Additionally, the article must have been published after the beginning of the 1/12/2015.
The commentary must be typed using 1” page margins, single spaced, and 12 point font. The commentaries are due at the beginning of class on the following dates, but may be submitted any time before the due date.
You must include a copy of the article, including the date and source, with your commentary and late submissions will be given grade of zero. Grades will be based on the article appropriateness and completeness according to the above directions and the rubric to be provided.
Article Critique Assignment
Select a current environmental science news story from a news source (internet and hard copy are both acceptable).
Read the article and consider the facts and the impact. Prepare a critique of not less than one page. Write the critique in two sections with the required elements as follows:
- Summarize the article
- Clearly identify what is the environmental issue involved
- Include the 5 W’s (who, what, where, when, why?)
- Include the date the article was published and the source from which it came (note: a copy of the article must be submitted with the assignment)
- Discuss the impact of the environmental issue identified in Section One on the community and/or society
- What are the possible outcomes?
- Why should we be aware of the situation?
- What are solutions or considerations for the future?
- How did your opinion change because of reading this article?
- Do you recommend that others read this article? Why?