The 21st century offers many challenges to every one of us. As more firms go global, as more economies interconnect, and as the Web blasts away boundaries to communication, we….
discuss the general challenges of promoting diversity on a global scale versus within the narrower confines of a single country.
Readings, Videos, etc.
- Mor Barak, Chapter 5: Socioeconomic Transitions: The New Realities of the Global Workforce, and Chapter 6: Defining Diversity in a Global Context
- Global Trends – this is an outstanding website that provides considerable information to better plan for future success in a global world
- United States Small Business Administration – an article titled, “What are the Advantages of a Diverse Workforce” discusses small businesses efforts to employ workers from different background
- Global Diversity at EY – (20:26) The Director of Global Diversity and Inclusiveness at EY discusses the importance of diversity and inclusion in a worldwide company
- Global Trends 2030 – (103:00) A fascinating video on the demographic and environmental changes over the next 15 years, including the emergency of a multi-polar world in which the US is relatively less dominant
- Part 1- Demographic Trends
This week emphasizes the numerous demographic and societal trends occurring throughout the world. There is worker migration, occupational diversity, and a greater emphasis on education, to name just a few. Choose two global demographic or societal trends that you see occurring at present. Discuss whether you see those trends as advantageous or disadvantageous to the United States, and how the United States can better position itself to take advantage of these trends. (peer review, safe guard, no plagiarism, need APA citation and reference, 150-200 words)
- Part 2 – Workforce Diversity
Given the prominence of diversity throughout the United States, most have an understanding of the concept of diversity – it is about recognizing and encouraging differences. However, for some the U.S. definition of diversity differs from a global definition of diversity. Compare and contrast the differences between the terms “diversity” and “global diversity,” and discuss the general challenges of promoting diversity on a global scale versus within the narrower confines of a single country. (peer review, safe guard, no plagiarism, need APA citation and reference, 150-200 words)